How to eliminate anti-nutritional factors in piglet feed
by Zheng Chang, China
Almost all feed materials contain anti-nutritional factors, especially plant-based materials. Feed with high levels of anti-nutritional factors may have adverse effects on the production performance and health of livestock and poultry. Although soybean-based products are the most abundant source of protein within feed at present, they contain a variety of anti-nutritional factors, which leads to allergic diarrhea and even, in rare cases, mortalities.
Anti-nutritional factors in soybean meal
Anti-nutritional factors are substances that have adverse effects on the digestion, absorption and utilisation of nutrients in feed. At present, the common anti-nutritional factors in actual production include protease inhibitors, phytic acid, tannic acid, mycotoxins, etc. They destroy or hinder the digestion and utilisation of nutrients and affect the growth of piglets.
Soybean meal is mainly used as a protein source to provide nourishment for pigs. Although it is nutritious, it contains many anti-nutritional factors, such as non-protein anti-nutritional factors (such as phytic acid, oligosaccharide) and protein anti-nutritional factors (such as trypsin inhibitors, soybean antigen proteins, urease). Different factors have different anti-nutritional effects.
Possible solution: Optimise your formula to ensure the amount of soybean meal for piglet feed does not exceed 15 percent.
The effects of high levels of anti-nutritional factors
Feed with bad palatability may decrease the appetite of piglets. Feed intake will decrease, growth will stagnate, and cases of diarrhea will worsen. Improving the palatability of feed is the most direct and effective way to improve the feed intake, but there are many factors that affect palatability: feed flavor, anti-nutritional factors, feed deterioration, feed ingredients, unreasonable feed processing, etc.
Tannic acid, protease inhibitors and plant agglutinin are typical anti-nutritional substances. These can affect the taste of feed and decrease the appetite of suckling pigs. Also, they may combine with digestive enzymes and nutrients in the body of suckling pigs, secrete irritant substances, and affect the digestion of protein.
Possible solution: Realising the balance between creep feed and high-grade piglet feed through formula optimisation and reasonable processing. Eliminating excessive anti-nutritional factors according to the local conditions and the situation.
How to eliminate anti-nutritional factors
The main methods of eliminating anti-nutritional factors and reducing urease in soybean meal include physical method, chemical method and biological method. At present, Zheng Chang piglet feed expanding technology has become a leading solution in the industry.
How does expanding technology eliminate the anti-nutritional factors?
Expanding technology allows materials to be fully conditioned, under high temperatures and humidity, through the special spiral strong extrusion and shearing action, to form short-term and medium-temperature (90-130℃) conditions, to fully expand the materials, kill harmful microorganisms and destroy or passivate the anti-nutritional factors in raw materials, and bind the materials into slices or lumps.
One solution that is effective against anti-nutritional factor is the Zheng Chang Piglet Feed Expander:
● Used for producing 7-21 days of high-grade piglet feed
● Eliminates anti-nutrition factors in raw materials, reduces the activity of urease enzymes in soybean meal. Result: No diarrhea, higher survival rate
● Maintains the activity of the functional substances in raw materials, realises the value of the nutritional formula, makes piglet feed taste like rice paste. No excessive internal heat, higher growth rate
● Total feed intake is increased to 525-700g in creep feed stage. The absorption ability of piglet's digestive tract can be improved. Weaned piglets in creep feed stage can increase their weight with 1kg and pigs can increase 10kg.
At present, Zheng Chang has patented expanded piglet feed technology, which has been applied to many large enterprises such as Chia Tai Conti, Wens, CP, New Hope, Zheng Hong, Haid, Ao Nong, Continental Grain, Kingsino, COFCO.
- Kingsino: For this company, Zheng Chang constructed six high-quality piglet feed production lines in total. Kingsino has attained listing requirements within three years after the completion of feed lines.
- Zhenghong Group: Zheng Chang's unique expanded piglet feed technology helped break through the production bottleneck at Zhenghong Group and create a bountiful harvest production line. Differentiated technology and equipment have contributed to their further sales growth
- Chia Tai Conti: This company's biscuit feed produced by expanding technology has become more popular with many farmers. Good palatability, high feed intake, ease of digestibility and quick weight gain are some of the many advantages of this feed. This biscuit feed has created differentiated competitive advantages and higher profit margins for Chia Tai Conti.
Anti-nutritional factors have great effect on immune stress and nutrition metabolism. If we know the content of anti-nutritional factors in feed materials, we can reduce and avoid the negative effects caused by anti-nutritional factors by formula technology, expanding technology, processing or enzyme preparation.