FAWEMA was founded by Heinrich Kleinjung in 1920 and called FAbrik für WErkzeuge und MAschinen. At first the company manufactured twist drill milling machines, drilling machines, bow saws, grinding machines and other metal working tools. Later on, these products were also exported to the UK.
From the mid-thirties onwards contract work and government orders, above all the processing of spare parts for locomotives for the National Railway, contributed to the company's growth. By the end of the forties there was an increased demand for portioned foodstuffs, and FAWEMA, together with their engineer Julius Schwirten, an expert for packaging machines, concentrated on the development and manufacture of dosing machines.
In 1949 a small dosing machine was built. Then Edeka ordered 250 dosing machines at one stroke to equip all of their shops and also placed an order for the first automatic filling machine. Factory workshops and a multi-storey administration building were erected. Continuously improved and new FAWEMA products resulted in further expansion. The production programme was systematically broadened, first by adding bag filling and closure machines and later by combining them with collating and packing machines into state-of-the-art packaging lines.